Connect with us

Manchester United

Gary Neville reveals why Mauricio Pochettino failed to land United job

Published

on

Before now Mauricio Pochettino was believed to be in line for the job at Man United but he eventually lost out to Erik ten Hag.

The Ajax manager has now been named as the new manager that will take over from Ralf Rangnick.

United legend Gary Neville said Mauricio Pochettino’s turbulent spell in charge of PSG blew his chances of taking over at Manchester United this summer.

This is as the French giants failed to win the Ligue 1 title last season and exiting the Champions League earlier than they had hoped this term.

Advertisement

Asked why he believes United chose Ten Hag over the former Spurs boss, Neville told Sky Sports: ‘I think ultimately Pochettino has been the outstanding choice for a number of years.

‘Losing in the Champions League this season, not winning the league in France last year…

‘Let’s be clear, PSG is not an easy club to manage. [Chelsea manager] Thomas Tuchel had problems over there. Tuchel wasn’t the statesmanlike like figure he has been at Chelsea at PSG.

‘So I think purely what has happened with Mauricio Pochettino at Paris Saint-Germain has cost him.

Advertisement

‘He’s got great experience of the Premier League, he did a brilliant job at Southampton and Tottenham.

‘But the current mood is absolutely key and Ten Hag is the man of the moment. Look, United have spoken to both of them and the club have determined that Erik ten Hag is the right man to take the club forward.’

Manchester United

Player who rejected United for another English side speaks up

Published

on

Malcolm Ebiowei has rejected a bid from Man United to join Crystal Palace as the EPL side has confirmed the deal.

Ebiowei had an impressive last campaign under United legend Wayne Rooney at Pride Park, making 16 appearances for the senior side.

Speaking in his move to Palace, he said:

‘I’d like to thank everyone at Derby County for their incredible support over the last year or so, and for giving me the opportunity to show what I can do on the field, and I’d also like to thank the fans for their encouragement especially given the circumstances of last season,

Advertisement

‘As everyone is aware the situation is very uncertain at Derby, so it was important for me to secure my long-term future.”

He added: ‘I’m incredibly excited about the prospect of joining Palace, as they have an incredible squad and huge potential. I very much hope to contribute positively to the team this season.’

Meanwhile, Palace chairman Steve Parish hailed ‘highly coveted’ Ebiowei and is confident the club can provide him with the platform to thrive.

‘I’m delighted that Malcolm has chosen Crystal Palace as the best place to continue his development, following his impressive breakthrough into senior football in recent months,’ Parish said.

Advertisement

‘He is a highly coveted young player, and we very much expect to provide a platform for him to flourish at the highest level.’

Continue Reading

Manchester United

United could be close to a summer deal but not what the fans wanted

Published

on

Man United could be close to sealing a deal as Dundee United want to bring Dylan Levitt back to Tannadice on loan and this summer transfer window.

Although, this is not the type of news story the Red Devils fans want to hear as they want incomings, rather than exits.

Dundee have reportedly held talks with the Red Devils after he spent last season with the Tangerines and impressed over 29 matches in all competitions north of the border.

Sporting director Tony Asghar told the Sunday Mail: “We’re still interested and talks are ongoing. He’s got another year with Manchester United and a World Cup to aim for, to try and get into the Wales squad.

Advertisement

“Dylan is a player who fits into our system. He is well liked by all of the players and loved by the fans.

“We are still trying to see if we can do something there. Jack [Ross, the manager] likes the player, but when you bring a manager in, you have to run the list of targets past him.”

Asghar added: “I think we know we are on the right track with targets. When you see Levitt and the influence he had, especially in the second half of the season, he is a player we would like at Dundee United.

“But right now, he is a Manchester United player. We are speaking to them and they know our feelings.

Advertisement

“Dylan is a player we would like to have. But it’s going to take United and ourselves to come to an agreement

Continue Reading

Manchester United

Man United told they will regret this transfer decision

Published

on

Former Chelsea forward, Tony Cascarino, has told Manchester United they will regret their decision to refuse signing Leeds United’s midfielder, Kalvin Phillips.

Phillips is closing in on a move to City after Pep Guardiola’s side struck a £42million agreement with Leeds for the midfielder and the former EPL star is baffled that the Red Devils allowed him to slip out of their hands.

Speaking on the Weekend Sports Breakfast, Cascarino said: “I don’t know why Man United have not made a move for Kalvin Phillips.

“They might say that they tried to and he’d already decided that he was going to City, but he’s exactly what Man United need.

Advertisement

“He might not have wanted to go there, that might be the reason, but there seemingly wasn’t any competition from a club who sorely need that type of player.

“It’s a huge miss in their team, a ball-winning player who can keep it and let other players do their thing and he does that as well as anybody.”

Meanwhile, the Red Devils are in great demand for midfielders as they will be without Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Nemanja Matic at Old Trafford in the coming season, hence a replacement.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Summer Transfer: Ambrose tells Chelsea, United why they should be worried about Arsenal

Published

on

A former Newcastle United star, Darren Ambrose has told Chelsea and Man United that they have reasons to be worried about Arsenal ahead of next season.

He said the summer transfer moves by the North London outfit suggests they could be out for everyone next season.

So far, Arsenal have signed goalkeeper Matt Turner, midfielder Fabio Vieira and winger Marquinhos while a deal for Gabriel Jesus is reported to have been agreed upon.

This is happening after the Gunners spent over £160 million last summer, bringing in Aaron Ramsdale, Ben White, Albert Sambi Lokonga, Martin Odegaard, and Takehiro Tomiyasu, amongst others.

Advertisement

Ambrose told talkSPORT, “I think it’s great for Arteta. He seems to be the only manager that realises there’ll be five substitutes next season.

“If they can get those two signings across the line, Jesus and Raphinha, they’re fantastic signings.

“If you’re Chelsea and Manchester United, where nothing is happening at the moment, just links, you’ve got to be a little bit concerned,” he said.

Confim Gabriel Jesus’ deal, transfer guru Fabrizio Romano tweeted “Gabriel Jesus to Arsenal, here we go! Personal terms fully agreed with his agent Marcelo Pettinati and his two partners. Gabriel signs until 2027, it’s 100% done.

Advertisement

“Arsenal already agreed £45m fee with Man City as revealed on Friday.

“Edu & Arteta, key for the deal.”

Continue Reading

Manchester United

Leaked information about United transfer activities calls for great concern by fans

Published

on

Kevin Campbell has expressed shock to learn that Man United chief executive Richard Arnold completely distance himself from the club’s transfer business, a development the club fans should be concerned about.

This could contribute to why the Red Devils are struggling to seal a deal yet in this summer transfer window.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former Arsenal and Everton striker claimed such decisions should be “done by committee” with the manager having the final say.

Recall that last Saturday (18 June), a video was leaked online of Richard Arnold meeting a group of disgruntled fans in a pub.

Advertisement

The 51-year-old addressed a number of issues at Old Trafford during the conversation, including spending, the dressing room, a new stadium and transfers.

Arnold revealed he has distanced himself from the club’s transfer dealings in what he described as a shift from the strategy under previous chief executive Ed Woodward.

“It should be done by committee. The manager should have the final say but there should be a lot of people having an input. The fact that he said he has no say, I’m not sure.

“Of course, whatever works best works best but for me they should be putting their heads together. Two heads are better than one.

Advertisement

“The defining vote should come from the manager. That is the way I see it.”

Continue Reading

Chelsea

What United said about reported Ronaldo move to Chelsea

Published

on

A report making the rounds have claimed that Cristiano Ronaldo might be set for a shock move to join Man United rivals Chelsea.

Ronaldo’s return to Old Trafford last season did not go as planned but he recorded his personal success by scoring 24 goals in 38 appearances and being voted for the PFA Player of the Year award.

In response to reports of his move to Chelsea, a senior club source told the Manchester Evening News: ‘Cristiano is not for sale. We want and fully expect him to be with us next season.’

Meanwhile, Ronaldo, who has won five Ballon d’Or awards, insisted last month that he was ‘happy’ at Manchester United and excited to work under new boss Erik ten Hag.

Advertisement

‘I was and still am very happy to be here, and what I have to say to the fans is they are amazing,’ Ronaldo said.

‘Even when we lost games, they always support us, they always are with us. The supporters are always in my heart and it’s the people that we all should respect because they are always on our side.

‘For me, the most important thing is to try to win the games and try to win some championship or some cup but I believe that Manchester will be where they belong. As I say before, sometimes it takes time but I still believe.

‘What I know about him [Ten Hag] is he did a fantastic job for Ajax, that he’s an experienced coach. But we need to give him time.

Advertisement

‘Things need to change the way he wants. I hope we have success, of course, because, if you have success, all of Manchester is going to have success as well. I wish him the best.

‘We are happy and excited, not only as players, but the supporters as well. I wish him the best and let’s believe that, next year, we are going to win trophies.’

Continue Reading

Arsenal

Arsenal, United to battle Ajax star as fee is revealed

Published

on

Arsenal and Manchester United will now battle for the signature of Ajax star Lisandro Martinez as both EPL sides have established contact with his representatives for a deal this summer transfer window.

Lisandro Martinez impressed to be tipped as one of the best defenders in Holland and a regular for Argentina over the past two seasons.

While Man United will hope on the relationship between Erik ten Hag and the player, Arsenal have already made a £25m enquiry, less than the £30 million by United.

However, Ajax have set a £42m asking price for the defender.

Advertisement

Former Ajax star Marciano Vink, who spoke about the defender earlier this week, said that ‘You never know, of course, but if there are so many economic gains to be made.

‘Ajax should always focus on the next one. I think €40m should definitely be negotiable.

‘I think [Ben] White is good, and Gabriel is still a bit unpolished. Neither of them are brilliant builders.

‘He [Martinez] would be brought in for the position of left central defender, and I don’t think they’ll take Gabriel out at Arsenal just like that. If they get Martinez, I think they’ll get him for the bench. As a back-up.’

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Manchester United

United could be set for first summer deal as Tottenham pull out of race

Published

on

Tottenham have pulled out of the race to sign Christian Eriksen, leaving Man United with the opportunity to land the Brentford player this summer transfer window.

The Londoners have held talks with the Denmark international about a potential summer deal as he is set to leave the club but talks have not progressed and they are understood to have abandoned the deal.

Man United are now left with opportunity to land the player while Brentford are pushing hard for a deal.

“It now appears to be a two-horse race for the 30-year-old, made such a big impact for the west Londoners following his stunning resurgence this year.

Advertisement

United and Brentford have both submitted contract offers to Eriksen and detailed how he fits in their plans for next season.

Eriksen has admitted he has a big decision to make over his future after impressing during his short-term contract at Brentford.

“Christian Eriksen is still a phenomenal player,” ex-Leeds striker Whelan told Football Insider. “Everything went through him at Brentford and his creativity and vision remains top class.

“There were obviously question marks over his fitness and stamina over 90-minute matches. But he’s answered them and I’m not surprised Tottenham and Man United have both been looking at him.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending