Connect with us

Uncategorized

Gary Neville exposes United’s transfer decision on Donny Van De Beek

Published

on

Gary Neville has given the hint that Man United invested £40million for midfielder Donny Van de Beek, not because he was needed but because they feared Paul Pogba would leave and wanted to have him replaced before his exit.

Paul Pogba has been unsettled at Old Trafford for many years as he has been linked with moves away but be seems to be experiencing a revival in the last few matches, with some pointing to his improved form coming after the remarkable intervention from his agent Mina Raiola in December, who claimed his United career was ‘over’.

Neville, wondering why the Red Devils invested in the Dutch star, who has barely featured at Old Trafford, having started only two Premier League games and scored just once in the opening game of the season in September. The 23-year-old has not featured at all in the league since United’s 6-2 thrashing of Leeds on 20 December.

His words “It’s interesting, something’s happened – the (Donny) Van de Beek signing’s an interesting one – I still can’t get my head around it,’ Neville said on Sky Sports on Sunday ahead of the Liverpool v Manchester United game.

Advertisement

“It’s almost as if that signing was sort of done in anticipation of one of the others leaving because Van de Beek has just sat on the bench for the last few months and he cost £40million.

“I think that Manchester United are preparing for someone leaving. Maybe Pogba could leave, so they’ve already got Van de Beek in to maybe assume that role.”

Van De Beek has hardly been seen with pundits and former Man United layer urging him to leave the club or be assured of regular playing time.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has defended critics of Van de Beek and his lack of game time, saying “There are so many examples of players needing a little bit of time, quality players, we have many examples ourselves and there are other clubs with examples and sometimes it takes time,’ Solskjaer said about the Dutchman.

“You don’t expect people who care for him to be quiet at times, especially when they want the best for them. I’ve spoken to him and made him aware of how much we rate him.”

Advertisement

However, Gary Neville confessed that Paul Pogba has been returned to the team on merit given his current form after sitting on the bench for a couple of games earlier in the season.

‘I think now, the way Paul Pogba’s playing and the way Manchester United’s season is going, there’s no one going to come in in January and buy Paul Pogba; I don’t think Manchester United would let him go.’

Arsenal

Did Arsenal actually help United to handle Ronaldo’s case

Published

on

Man United have asked Cristiano Ronaldo to leave the club in a mutual agreement after his blasted the club, manager and teammates in an interview with Piers Morgan.

United, as earlier states, assessed what action to take after Ronaldo publicly took aim at the club’s ownership, Erik ten Hag and his fellow teammates.

With the decision to terminate his contract, some pundits have argued that it wasn’t a decision the club would have taken.

It is argued that the Red Devils learnt from Arsenal on how Mesut Ozil’s case was handled to make the bold decision.

Advertisement

Recall that like Ronaldo, Mesut Ozil was a star at Arsenal but after he fell out with Arteta, he was made to leave the team.

With this similar case, United have been able to prove, just as Arsenal did on two occasions that no one is bigger than the club.

Meanwhile, Arsenal and Chelsea have both been linked with a potential move for Ronaldo in the new year, but after his recent actions it’s hard to see why a top club would look to sign the ageing superstar, apart from his stellar goal scoring record.

The 37-year-old is now without a club and has become a free agent ahead of the January.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Another winger finally tells Arsenal when he will be ready to make a move

Published

on

PSV winger Cody Gakpo has told Arsenal and other suitors that he will be ready for a move at the end of the season.

He made this claim while discussing his future amid plenty of transfer speculation.

The Dutch winger has been linked with almost every club in Europe but Arsenal and Liverpool seem to be the favourites in this race and he is likely to join any of the two sides

Meanwhile, Arsenal have been linked with the signature of the winger as they are keen so as to add depth to their squad.

Advertisement

The North London outfit will be at the top of the table at Christmas with five points ahead of Man City, hence a need to push for the title.

A move would have been made for the winger in the summer but he opted to stay at PSV. Now he says that he’ll be ready to take the next step in his career at the end of the season.

“I think at the end of this season I will be ready to take that step. I feel like I was already that way at the beginning of this season, but after this season I’m even more ready to take the next one,” Gakpo said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Ian Wright confesses Arsenal missed a good player not signing this midfielder

Published

on

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has claimed that his former side really missed a good player by missing out on Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz last summer transfer window.

The North London outfit made two offers for the Brazilian international on the transfer deadline day but they were both rejected.

Speaking on the Wrighty’s House Podcast, Ian Wright spoke on the player’s performance and how he would work with new Aston Villa manager Unai Emery.

Wright discussed how the current Aston Villa squad will fit into Emery’s system, especially Douglas Luiz, who was wanted by the Gunners last summer.

Advertisement

The pundit gave his view on the midfield maestro.

“They have flair players, look at someone like Douglas Luiz, we were trying to get him, that’s how good he is, he is very good. Leon Bailey, you’ve seen how good he is,” Wright said.

Howbeit, the North London outfit are expected to sign more players in the coming January winter transfer window and a midfielder is one of the target to beef up their team in order to succeed in their bid to win the Premier League this season.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Arsenal could still sign this United player after claim by pundit

Published

on

Kevin Campbell has told Arsenal that they could still sign Marcus Rashford next summer transfer window if they make a concrete move for the forward

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former Arsenal and Everton striker claimed the 24-year-old “ticks some really good boxes” and would fit in for Mikel Arteta’s side.

Rashford is in his final 12 months of his contract at Old Trafford with a one-year extension clause but Erik ten Hag said the focus is “on football” and “not on negotiating” when quizzed about the England international’s future.

When asked if the forward would be a welcome addition at the Emirates, Campbell told Football Insider: “He ticks some really good boxes for Arsenal.

Advertisement

“On the counter attack, he can be devastating. He undone Arsenal at Old Trafford earlier this season with his speed. Rashford can be devastating on his day, we know that.

“Manchester United are dithering by the sounds of it. I’m sure Arsenal would go for him if he became available next summer.

“He is an international player who has played on the big stages. He knows how to get games one. That is what Arsenal lack sometimes. It would be great to have a player of his experience as part of the rotation.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Arsenal and Arteta told the next player they must give new deal or lose

Published

on

Noel Whelan has told Arsenal and manager Mikel Arteta that they must hand Granit Xhaka a new contract or he would snapped up by another club.

The Switzerland international has become a very relevant player at the Emirates Stadium and he is already attracting interest from other clubs.

The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, hailed the 30-year-old for “winning back the fans” after refusing to “throw the towel in” at the Emirates Stadium.

The Switzerland international has just over 18 months left to run on his current deal with the future still uncertain.

Advertisement

When asked if Xhaka has a part to play at Arsenal for years to come, Whelan told Football Insider’s Ewan Kingsbury: “Absolutely.

“He’s been there for so long, and it’s been a turbulent time. There was a point where you felt that he had to leave the football club.

“But he’s shown massive commitment to Arsenal.

“He’s put in work to change his ways and win back the fans, and now he’s putting in top performances too. He’s always honest and shows leadership qualities out on the pitch.

Advertisement

“I think he’s gradually won back the fans at Arsenal, and that’s a great testament to him. It would have been very easy for him to throw the towel in.

“He chose not to leave, he’s changed his game, and he’s got the trust of the manager.”

Continue Reading

Arsenal

Arsenal told of all summer targets, this player will end up at Emirates Stadium

Published

on

Arsenal have been told by journalist Simon Phillips that of all their summer transfer targets Douglas Luiz will be the one to end up at the Emirates Stadium.

The Aston Villa midfielder highly linked with a move to Arsenal in the last summer transfer window alongside other players like Youri Tielemans, as manager Mikel Arteta was keen on adding a midfielder.

Three different offers were submitted by the North London outfit but they were all rejected by Aston Villa with reports that they were firm on a £40 million offer which the Gunners were not willing to pay.

Now, heading into the January transfer window, the Brazilian’s future remains up in the air, and there appears to be an expectation that he will make a move away sooner rather than later.

Advertisement

Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, he said: “The situation there if he does become a free agent, Chelsea will probably have a look at it.

“But I think he’ll end up joining Arsenal.”

This is a possibility as the Spanish manager could make a move for a midfielder after the injuries of Mohamed Elneny and Thomas Partey. There are chances that the Spaniard will not rely on the two for the rest of the season.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

How Arteta’s words to striker is helping as expected return could make Gunners attack more deadly

Published

on

The words of manager Mikel Arteta to Folarin Balogun seems to be yeilding results as the youngster is helped the youngster improve and become a man.

The striker was told to ‘develop as a man’ and he is proving himself on loan at Ligue 1 side Reims.

With five goals in 8 games, only Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Terem Moffi have scored more goals than him so far this season which suggests he’s somewhat adapted to life in his new surroundings.

More to that is that he is already thinking of his return to Arsenal to add to the fire power of the Gunners attack.

Advertisement

“Before I moved, Mikel said he wanted me to develop as a man. It was kind of like an open answer and for me to interpret what me meant by develop as a man,” he said, as cited by the Mirror.

“But by moving abroad, I’m starting to learn what he meant. It doesn’t just mean on the pitch but also off the pitch. I think by the time I go back I’ll be in a better place to compete than I was before I left.”

“I realised there were certain things I would struggle with but I think that’s a good thing,” he added.

“It helps you to manage stuff you’re uncomfortable with which is important. It is still early but definitely if I am around those sorts of names at the end of the season I would be really happy with myself.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Aston Villa boss reveals why Arsenal’s deadline day move for Luiz failed

Published

on

Aston Villa coach, Steven Gerrard, has told fans why Arsenal’s last minutes efforts to to sign midfielder Douglas Luiz during summer transfer window deadline.

Arsenal showed late interest in the Brazilian just hours to the end of the summer transfer window after missing out in a number if names, especially Leicester City’s Youri Tielemans.

It was understood that the North London outfit had three bids rejected by Aston Villa, with the final offer worth £25 million.

Luiz will be out of contract with Aston Villa next summer, and it’s an opportunity for the club to sell him and not lose him for free in the next one year.

Advertisement

The Brazilian’s dream to play for a team in the Champions League or Europa League would have come true if he made the move to the Emirates Stadium.

However, Gerrard has now claimed that Aston Villa blocked the 24-year-old from leaving Villa Park to Arsenal because they did not want to lose him this season.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Aston Villa’s Premier League tie with Manchester City this weekend, Gerrard, a Liverpool legend, said: “I have got confidence that he [Luiz] will understand the situation and the club’s decision that we didn’t want to lose a very important player and a top player so late in the window.”

He added: “From a personal point of view, I very much back the club’s decision and stance on that. I spoke to Dougie face-to-face yesterday and he understood where it was at and the position that the club was in. He very much respects the decision. Hopefully it will calm down in the hours and days to come and he will be fine moving forward.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending