Connect with us

Arsenal

Arteta reveals initial fears for Saka in penalty against Chelsea

Published

on

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has confessed that he was scared when he saw Bukayo Saka was to take the late penalty against Chelsea.

The winger converted the spot kick for his side late, wrapping up a surprising 4-2 win away from home in the Premier League on Wednesday night.

While Saka did not make any mistake from the spot, Arteta admits that he was worried about the youngster’s penalty miss against Italy in the Euro 2020 final last summer.

Asked about whether Saka was the man instructed to take the penalty, Arteta told reporters: “No. I thought Gabi [Martinelli] was going to take it and when I saw that Bukayo was going to take it, honestly, the first thing I thought was back in the summer and what happened.

Advertisement

“But again, I said to you guys, when that happened to Bukayo it happened for a reason. He learned so much and he’s been through so much that’s why he’s having the season he’s having today.

“For him to have the courage to say ‘I’m going to take it again’ – because I’m sure it would have been in the back of his mind – for me it’s top order, even if he missed it.”

Arsenal

Newcastle boss in mind games? Makes stunning claim about Arteta and Arsenal

Published

on

Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe could be on a mind game as he claimed to be impressed by the overhaul at Arsenal conducted by Mikel Arteta.

This is as the Gunners head for St James’ Park on Monday for a must win game, if they must play in the Champions League next season.

Although, Mikel Arteta’s team have another against Everton in their final fixture that must also be won to finish in the Champions League places for the first time since 2016 regardless of what rivals Tottenham do.

Asked to assess Arteta’s contribution to date, Howe said: “Sometimes trying to judge how a manager has performed is very, very difficult because results don’t always tell the whole story.

Advertisement

“The biggest compliment I can give Mikel is he’s overseen a big transition of players and a big transition of playing style, and he’s managed to do that while getting results and that’s very, very difficult to do.

“They now have, I think, one of the youngest teams in the Premier League and the future looks very bright there, so full credit to him and his staff and his players for what they have done.”

Asked if they had punched above their weight this time around, Howe said: “It’s difficult for me to say, I’ve got no real comment on that. I’m just observing from things I see from a manager’s perspective.

“As I said, the transition of players, ins and outs, and the average age of the squad has come right down – they have a lot of really talented young players – that’s very hard to do and remain competitive in the Premier League.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Arteta sends Conte fifth place message as Arsenal’s fate would be determined by Newcastle clash

Published

on

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has blasted Antonio Conte as he said his team would’ve taken a fifth place finish at the start of the season if there would not be a fight.

Arteta holds the believe that Arsenal still have their destiny in their own hands ahead of the trip to Newcastle and entertaining Everton on the final day of the season.

The Newcastle game will be a major test with Arteta says that they will go all out for the win because they are not prepared to settle for fifth .

When asked if they would be happy with fifth at the start of the season, Arteta said: “Absolutely, Yes. It is a good place to be.

Advertisement

“But as I said, It is in our hands we have done a lot in the past few months to be in this position so let’s go for it. We want to be playing in the Champions League. And that’s the end, we’ve come so far, as I said, it’s in our hands and we want to now capitalise on that, and the excitement and the opportunities there, and we will really want to go for it.

“It’s not pressure, it’s excitement and, and this is what we have built over the last few months. And as I said, top four is the target. Now, it’s in our hands, and we want to deliver that.”

Arteta also responded to Tottenham manager Antonio Conte that he “complains too much”.

Arteta said: “What I have tried to do I think in three years here is not make any complaints. I have no complaint and I didn’t complain on Thursday. I just said I could not give a clear assessment on what I thought about the game. And that’s it.

Advertisement

“Whatever we do we will try to defend the club in the right way, like we have always tried to do. The other night I tried to do it as well. That was not trying to affect anybody.

“But I was being clear and honest. I think that is my job and my responsibility when I talk on behalf of the club to express how we feel. And if I cannot do it, I prefer not to.”

Continue Reading

Arsenal

Expert gives his stance on Holding’s red card as controversial Heung-min Son footage emerges

Published

on

Danny Mills has affirmed that the referee was right to give Rob Holding the marching order and award Tottenham a penalty when Tottenham defeated Arsenal 3-0 last Thursday.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Man City and England defender admitted the penalty was “soft” but still the right decision and Holding was “daft” as he gave the referee a decision to make.

Recall that Spurs were awarded a penalty after 22 minutes when Cedric Soares pushed Heung-min Son in the back as a cross was floated in.

Holding, 26, was shown a second yellow card just over 10 minutes later for a foul on Son.

Advertisement

“The penalty was soft but it is a penalty,” Mills said after analysing the footage with Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

“Soft, hard, it doesn’t really matter. Go back to Luke Ayling’s red card against Arsenal, that was a hard red card but it’s still a red card. The penalty is a soft penalty but it’s still a penalty.

“Occasionally you’ll get away with it but realistically it’s a penalty. That’s why it was given, that’s why it was checked by VAR and you can’t have too many complaints about that.

“With Rob Holding, he committed fouls time and time again. Once you get that first booking you can’t make silly challenges, it’s as simple as that.

Advertisement

“It’s the responsibility of the player not to be daft. How many times do we say, if you’re on a booking don’t give the referee a decision to make.

“If you think about the things you can be booked for, a tiny trip here and there, you know you can’t do it.

“It was a lack of judgement and the player has to take responsibility for that.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Noel Whelan tells Arsenal fans why they should prepare to welcome Gabriel Jesus from City

Published

on

Noel Whelan has hinted Arsenal fans that they should be prepared to welcome Gabriel Jesus to the Emirates as a deal from Manchester City “could be a done deal”

The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, suggested the 25-year-old could be one of at least two new strikers through the door at the Emirates Stadium, after a bid was reportedly tabled.

Whelan claimed the North London outfit could sign two strikers and that Jesus would be a statement of intent.

Whelan told Football Insider’s Russell Edge: “I think a deal is going to be done. £42million is not a bad offer from Arsenal. That’s really showing their intent.

Advertisement

“They need to get two strikers, if not three. Two for sure.

“He definitely fits the bill of how Arteta wants to play. His work rate is phenomenal, he’s proven that he can score goals when he’s inside the 18-yard box.

“I think he will complement the way they play. I think that deal could be a done deal, along with maybe Calvert-Lewin as well from Everton.”

Jesus’s contract at Manchester City expires next summer but he could still leave especially with the coming of Erling Haaland.

Advertisement

His agent has also confirmed talking to the Gunners on the issue.

Continue Reading

Arsenal

Eddie Nketiah given one condition the leave Arsenal for West Ham

Published

on

Alan Hutton has told Eddie Nketiah that if he must leave Arsenal for West Ham United, he should be given assurances over his game time.

Nketiah’s future at Arsenal is not certain as his contract ends this summer. Arteta now wants to keep him but he could leave.

Asked if he thought West Ham would be a good move for Nketiah, Hutton told Football Insider’s Russell Edge: “That is the big question.

“He wants to play football. You don’t want to leave where you are at this moment in time and doing well to go to another club sit on the bench and start again. I think there would have to be assurances that if you’re coming into the club, you’re going to play.

Advertisement

“Obviously it’s form dependent but it would have to be a case of: ‘Wow, You’re our striker.’

“He doesn’t want to play second fiddle to the likes of Antonio or anything like that. It’s really going to fall down to that and what the club wants from him.

“It will be interesting to see how it goes because I believe he still has a future at Arsenal. He should stay there and hopefully sign a new contract.

“But they will bring somebody in for competition, so we’ll have to see how it goes.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arsenal

Harry Kane makes big claim that hints big trouble for Arsenal

Published

on

England international striker Harry Kane has told Arsenal that Tottenham Hotspur have done their job with victory over Burnley.

This has put Arsenal on much pressure ahead of their trip to Newcastle United on Monday.

The England international also noted that Mikel Arteta’s side are coming up against ‘great’ opposition in the Magpies.

Asked if he and his teammates will be Newcastle fans on Monday, Kane told BT Sport: ‘Of course! It will be a good game to watch for sure. Obviously, Newcastle have been doing great in the second half of the season.

Advertisement

‘We’ve done our job today and the last couple of games. We’ve got to recover and see what happens, but there’s still next week as well. It’s all to play for.’

Kane’s penalty came after Ashley Barnes was judged to have handled in the box after a VAR decision. While the decision was met with fierce protests from Burnley players and staff, Conte had no such doubts.

‘It was 200% a penalty, not 100%,’ Conte said in his post-match press conference.

‘It was so clear. When your arm is in this way and you take the ball. I think it was so clear.’

Advertisement

A win on Monday will return Arsenal back to fourth position with a point ahead of their rivals.

Continue Reading

Arsenal

How Arsenal “cheated” Brazilian outfit in Marquinhos’ capture

Published

on

Brazilian pundits and media have insinuated that Brazilian outfit Sao Paulo have been cheated by losing Marquinhos to Arsenal for less of his value.

This is as reports confirmed that Arsenal have had an offer for Marquinhos accepted and the Gunners have agreed personal terms with the 19-year-old.

He will move to Arsenal for just €3million in compensation fees, with Marquinhos’ current deal expiring this summer.

Sao Paulo are now fighting to get a percentage from a future transfer if he ever leaves the Gunners for a fee.

Advertisement

World Cup winner Vampeta has claimed it is ‘absurd’ and has explained why he is confused with the deal.

“This is absurd. This is absurd,” said Vampeta.

“Marquinhos’ business. They’re going to lose Marquinhos to Arsenal for €3m. I don’t know if you remember that I used to say I watched Audax’s academy games, Marquinhos in the under-15… he used to already make the difference.

“I said here on the show, ‘There’s an U-15 at Sao Paulo, Marquinhos’… Now he’s going to leave on a silver platter.”

Advertisement

Host Thiago Asmar then suggested that Marquinhos should be worth at least €10-15million, with all pundits agreeing, and then added that it’s a ‘scandal’ he is leaving for just €3million.

Continue Reading

Arsenal

Newcastle forward pursuit suffers as player prefers Arsenal move

Published

on

Newcastle United have held preliminary Dominic Calvert-Lewin talks but are suffering a major disappointment as the player prefers to join Arsenal.

The Everton striker’s future is up in the air going into the summer window and Premier League clubs are racing to sign him.

The Gunners have since been linked with the signature of the forward but it seems their attention has been turned to Man City’s Gabriel Jesus as the summer transfer window approaches.

However, early talks have taken place with the striker’s representatives as Newcastle make their pitch to lure him to the north-east.

Advertisement

Newcastle are keen because they have struggled to score goals this season with Callum Wilson still the club’s top scorer despite his last strike coming on 4 December against Burnley.

Everton are understood to be willing to listen to offers as they also want to part ways with the forward.

Sadly, he has not proven anything this season as Calvert-Lewin hasn’t scored in the Premier League since August after missing most of the season through injury.

Howbeit, Newcastle United can still land the forward especially as he is no longer a top target for the North London outfit with Gabriel Jesus now at the centre of Arsenal’s project.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending